Jeremiah 29:11

"For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future."

Thursday, April 08, 2010

[to.truly.understand]

[If you can't tell, my pointer toe on my right foot is bleeding. Yup]
Off to Kamiakin at 5 in the morning.
Andrew met me and I jumped in his car to meet everyone at Jessi's.
Poptarts, bottled water, and a smiling face helped me feel better about this craziness were about to embark on.
After picking up Jarret we finally get to Jessi's and I walked in completely surprising her haha
She had no idea I was going to show up.
Everyone ditches the shoes into backpacks, and we head out into the 50mph winds.
Sidewalk = okay
Asphalt = needles
Our feet were cold, and being abused by rocks and weeds as we began our trek.
We tried not to complain, but it was not fun at first.
It was one of the most painful things I've put myself through.
After walking a block, we all held hands on the street corner and prayed for the walk, and for the day.
We prayed that people would see us and understand what a big deal it is for children to not have shoes, and for us not to feel the pain in our feet, and to help us have positive attitudes.
After that, there was hardly any complaining, and our feet were so numb that it almost didn't hurt anymore either.
People met up with us along the way, we listened to some Classic Crime and Needtobreathe on Jessi's Ipod, and I got to check out the cars at Archibalds as we passed.
No M3s.
I was disappointed.
Overall, I'll admit, I could barely do that walk.
It was not easy.
My feet are raw.
My toe is bleeding.
But that's nothing compared to what children in third world countries go through.
I tried one day. They've done it their whole lives.
Pretty insane.
Totally worth the experience.
I'd like to say that now...
...I truly understand [or at least have a better understanding].

4 comments:

  1. Battlefield scars. The crown of victory! The medal of a journeyful life!

    ReplyDelete
  2. YOU AND YOUR FUCKING $80 TOMS ARE NOT SAVING THE WORLD! YOU DO NOT KNOW THE TRIALS AND SUFFERINGS OF LIVING IN A THIRD WORLD COUNTRY BECAUSE YOU SPENT ONE MOTHER FUCKING DAY WITHOUT SHOES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! YOU WERE WALKING DOWN THE STREET WITH FUCKING STARBUCKS, LISTENING TO SHITTY INDIE MUSIC ON YOUR GODDAMN IPODS, WORRYING ABOUT HOW MUCH HOMEWORK YOU HAD THAT NIGHT AND TRYING NOT TO CRY BECAUSE YOUR PUSSY LITTLE GIRL FEET GOT A WITTLE SCWATCH! YOU REALLY THINK KIDS IN AFRICA OR SOUTH AMERICA GIVE A FUCK ABOUT YOUR GODDAMN HIPSTER SHIT "SEAPORT VEGAN CLASSICS"? DO YOU THINK MAYBE THEY WOULD LIKE FOOD OR VACCINES OR A WORLD THAT GAVE ENOUGH OF A SHIT TO ACTUALLY MOBILIZE AND HELP THEIR COUNTRIES NOT BE SO FUCKING FUCKED UP?!?!?! ARE YOU FUCKING KIDDING ME? HAS THE WHOLE WORLD GONE MAD?! IS THERE ANY HOPE LEFT AT ALL WHEN THE KIDS ARE ALL TOLD AND BELIEVE THAT THE ABSOLUTE BEST THEY CAN DO FOR THIS WORLD IS TO BUY AN $80 DOLLAR PAIR OF FUCKING SHIT MOTHER CUNTING SHOES AND GO BAREFOOT FOR HALF A GODLESS DAY!?!?!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are absolutely right. I am not FULLY aware of all that is going on in third world countries. I know that I am blessed with the life that I have, and I was simply trying to raise awareness by doing the day without shoes. I wasn’t trying to get attention or sympathy because I got a “wittle scwatch”. That wittle scwatch just helped me realize how blessed I am to have shoes. I know that Toms Shoes is not the only way to help out, and it may not be the best, but I have bought shoes and that have changed the lives of three children who would otherwise not have shoes today. I sponsor a child in the Philippines, donate money every month to help build wells in Africa, and helped pack up medical supplies to send out to Haiti. None of the money I use to do this comes from my parents. I am a still in high school, I have a job, and it’s my money that I choose to donate to help others. And the thing is I know I could be doing more, but I feel that it is unfair of you to attack me when you don’t even know me. You don’t know my efforts to help the less fortunate.

    ReplyDelete